The skin has various problems since it is a part of the body most exposed to the elements. One of the most common skin problems is acne.
Acne is the result of an over-secretion of oil from the sebaceous glands. The sebum mixed with dead skin cells and bacteria blocks the pores and causes inflammation. Acne can occur on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders, and buttocks. It is most common in teenagers and young adults but can also occur in people of all ages.
Although many would think that acne is something that most people experience, there is an overlooked skin problem that everyone experiences from time to time: dry skin.
Dry can result from many different things: the winter weather, spending time in a dry or heated environment, certain skin disorders, and even taking certain medications. Dry skin isn’t very dangerous compared to other skin problems, but it can lead to other issues.
The different skin problems that dry skin can lead to are:
- Eczema- Eczema is a skin condition that results in the inflammation of the skin. It can be caused by dry skin and other things such as allergies, stress, and chemical irritants. Children are likely to experience this skin problem.
- Psoriasis- Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes the overproduction of skin cells. It can be the result of dry skin and other things such as genetics, stress, and certain medications.
- Dandruff- Dandruff is a condition that causes the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. It can be caused by dry skin and other things such as allergies, fungus, and hormonal imbalance.
Dry skin can also lead to premature aging of the skin. This is because the skin becomes less elastic and more susceptible to wrinkles.
Here are some ways you can prevent dry skin from happening.
Visit the Spa
One of the easiest ways to ensure that your skin is well-moisturized is to get a professional to handle it. Visiting a salon and spa can ensure fewer chances of having dandruff, dry skin, and other skin problems. There are different types of treatments available depending on your skin type. Some of them you can do weekly, while others you can do twice a year.
An example of treatment is microdermabrasion. It is a process of exfoliation and rejuvenation that uses a fine diamond tip to remove the outermost layer of dead skin cells. This treatment can be done every four weeks.
Another example is LED light therapy. It uses different colors of light to treat skin problems such as acne, wrinkles, and pigmentation. You can do it every two weeks.
Choose the Right Products
When it comes to your skin, you should never skimp on quality. Choose products suited for your skin type and make sure that they are from a trusted brand. You can ask for recommendations from your esthetician or dermatologist.
Some of the products you will need are:
- Cleanser- A cleanser removes dirt, makeup, and other impurities from the skin. A gentle cleanser that you can use daily is best for dry skin.
- Moisturizer- A moisturizer is used to hydrate the skin and prevent dryness.
- Sunscreen- Sunscreen is used to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Choose a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Exfoliator- An exfoliator is used to remove dead skin cells from the skin’s surface.
You should also avoid using harsh chemicals on your skin and extended exposure to the sun.
Drink Plenty of Water
Water is essential for keeping the body hydrated, including the skin. Make sure to drink eight glasses of water a day to keep the skin moisturized from the inside out. You can also eat fruits and vegetables high in water content to help keep the skin hydrated.
Some of these fruits and vegetables are:
If you are not getting enough water, your skin will become dry, flaky, and dull.
Use a Humidifier
A humidifier is a device that increases the moisture in the air. It can be used in the home or office. Using a humidifier can help prevent dry skin and other problems such as nosebleeds, respiratory issues, and static electricity.
Make sure to clean the humidifier regularly to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
Use a Moisturizing Mask
A moisturizing mask is a type of face mask used to hydrate the skin. It can be made at home or bought from a store. A moisturizing mask should be used once or twice a week to keep the skin hydrated and prevent dryness.
There are many different recipes for moisturizing masks. You can use various ingredients such as avocado, honey, banana, coconut oil, and yogurt.
- Avocado- Avocado is rich in fatty acids and vitamins that help to nourish the skin.
- Honey- Honey is a natural humectant that helps to lock in moisture.
- Banana- Banana is rich in vitamins and minerals that help to hydrate and nourish the skin.
- Coconut oil- Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that helps to hydrate the skin.
- Yogurt- Yogurt is rich in probiotics that help to nourish the skin.
You can also find moisturizing masks that are specifically made for dry skin. These masks usually contain hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and aloe vera ingredients.
Dry skin can be a nuisance, but it doesn’t have to be. You can ensure that your skin is well-moisturized and healthy by following these tips.